My Photos

www.flickr.com
boffo01's photos More of boffo01's photos

Friday, January 23, 2009

JaNoWriMo Update Day 23

Words Written Today: 1910
Total Words Written: 32665

Well, not great, but better than I thought I might do. I knew this week was going to be a bit of a washout and it hasn't disappointed in that regard. Well, I guess the final week will be the stressful race I didn't want it to be but expected it probably would be. Really, though, given most of my efforts so far have been confined to just the mornings and the odd lunchtime, I'm pretty confident that I can get it done.

Doug's birthday this weekend, so I expecting the mix of hangover and work will taint things a little on Sunday, but from Monday on, baby, I'm like greased writin' lightnin'!

Things I am learning:
- I'm not sure I enjoy writing fantasy. I also have a greater appreciation of those folks who write fantasy which is halfway decent (see: Joe Abercrombie). It's far too easy to fall into shitty cliche.
- I love writing horror. Love it. The scenes where things get a bit horrific are where everything comes alive for me, writing-wise. It's the stuff I'm happiest with, the stuff that writes itself the fastest, and the stuff that really fires my enthusiasm. A good signpost for the road ahead, then. Roll on, November!

No comments:

Post a Comment