My Photos

www.flickr.com
boffo01's photos More of boffo01's photos

Friday, January 08, 2010

Things I Did Yesterday 08/01/10

Still a bit chilly. I get the impression out there in the larger world that this is being reported as total winter chaos, our civilisation teetering on the brink of utter collapse. Truth be told, down here in London at least, it's been nothing more than an inconvenience. Perhaps they're eating one another up North, but I wouldn't know, what with the complete breakdown of communications beyond smoke signals. Anyway, yesterday I:

- Was on a late start, so took my time getting ready and getting into town. I used to enjoy doing the early start on a Thursday, as I could finish at 3.30pm. But I've really come around to the late start, as I usually feel completely relaxed by the time I get into work after something between 1 1/2 - 2 hours writing and relaxing beforehand. The evening goes a little quick, though.

- Worked. Delivery had arrived by the time I got in, so it was straight into it. We normally get the delivery a day before it goes out on sale, which gives us time to get everything done, so yesterday was pretty stressful all around. Still, we used to do it all on the same day as a matter of course, not to mention bag 75% of shelf stock as well, so I shouldn't really complain. Anyway, it was a relief once I got myself up on the till and was just able to get stuck in to serving and filing.

- Got home and read a pile of comics. Highlights included Orc Stain, a truly bizarre mish-mash of fantasy and underground comics. If I could compare it to anything it would be Vaughn Bode, though a modern comparison to Brandon Graham wouldn't be far amiss. Good fun. Also, got my hands on an advance copy of Mezolith, a collection of a strip that ran in the ill-fated DFC, a subscription-only children's comic which ran for a while from 2008-2009. Mezolith always looked like the standout, a kind of prehistoric adventure story with a surprisingly dark tone and amazingly lush artwork. David Fickling Books is now collecting a number of the strips that ran in the comic, and Mezolith is in the first wave of three. And it's bloody great. I really hope this is enough of a success to warrant more books in the series. Outside of the Edginton/D'Israeli War of the Worlds books, it's the best example of a British emulation of the European adventure albums that I can think of off the top of my head.

- Watched True Blood. It's funnier than the first season, right? Am I imagining that? I think that's why I'm liking it so much more, because it's having more fun with the concept.

- Slept. Dreamed I was walking up the hallway towards your room, a cold knife held tight in my sweaty, murderous palm. Woke, startled, but relieved to discover that at least this time I was still in my own house.

No comments:

Post a Comment